China Studies

China Studies

Postby Tienzen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:27 am

The China Studies of this forum has only one objective, enhancing America’s national security.

While there are many experts working on the China studies in America, most of them has only the eighth grade level of proficiency on the Chinese language which is, in fact, illiterate for Chinese culture, Chinese value and Chinese way of thinking.

If our objective is to bully China around with our supremacy, then those experts can be very useful. I just read an article by Mr. Fair.

C. Christine Fair (Writing for "Foreign Policy") argues, "The challenge before the U.S. and Pakistan is to figure out a way of sustaining a relationship that is vital to both states while acknowledging - rather than ignoring - the real difference in priorities and interests in the region and beyond."

This is, indeed, a great advice, “… acknowledging - rather than ignoring - the real difference in priorities and interests … .”

If a government needs an advice of this kind, she should be ashamed of herself. That advice is a common sense, not a knowledge. The knowledge is about the “true” differences. For example, are Chinese people moved by our action of awarding a “Somebody” a Nobel Prize? What did we (the America) gain from this? Did we move more Chinese people to our side? Or, we just helped Chinese government with our action? What kind of action from us can move Chinese people, especially to our side?

These questions are knowledge. This "China Studies forum" discusses only "true" knowledge, not common sense advices.
Tienzen
Founder

Re: China Studies

Postby Calista » Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Tienzen wrote:... most of them has only the eighth grade level of proficiency on the Chinese language which is, in fact, illiterate for Chinese culture, Chinese value and Chinese way of thinking.

There are a few Chinese scholars at The Heritage Foundation.
Calista

Postby taiwan » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:37 pm

Calista wrote:
Tienzen wrote:... most of them has only the eighth grade level of proficiency on the Chinese language which is, in fact, illiterate for Chinese culture, Chinese value and Chinese way of thinking.

There are a few Chinese scholars at The Heritage Foundation.

Chinese newspapers often report their commentaries about some news events. Most of those comments can be given by a Chinese commoner.

Value is the key, the Chinese value. Only something valuable to Chinese people can move them. As the Chinese value was never the central point of most of the China studies, those comments from those experts are very superficial and shallow.
taiwan

Postby American » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:41 am

taiwan wrote:Value is the key, the Chinese value. Only something valuable to Chinese people can move them. As the Chinese value was never the central point of most of the China studies, those comments from those experts are very superficial and shallow.

Chinese value was viewed as backwards and uncivilized. The “Anti-Chinese legislation in the United States (Anti-Coolie Act of California in 1862, Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 and Pigtail Ordinance of California in 1873) although repealed, that shadow is still in the mentality of many Americans.
Last edited by American on Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
American

Postby Tienzen » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:07 pm

taiwan wrote:Value is the key, the Chinese value. Only something valuable to Chinese people can move them. As the Chinese value was never the central point of most of the China studies, those comments from those experts are very superficial and shallow.

A person who grows up with the stories of Greek mythology and Christian dogma and a person who grows up with the stories of Chinese folk religion (a hodgepodge of Taoism, Buddhism, Confucianism, etc.) will have two different views about life. Although they have the identical human genome, their genes of soul are completely different. For the souls, they are two different species.

For the current experts of China studies in America, they are kind of analysts on the billiard ball games. By knowing the position of each ball and the skill levels of the players, to predict an outcome is relatively simple and straightforward. However, if the billiard balls are different in their internal structures (their hardness, center of gravity, roundness, etc.), then a straightforward prediction becomes impossible. While all the current experts of China studies in America are great billiard ball game analysts in this analogy, most of them know not the types of balls that China is using.

American wrote:

Chinese value was viewed as backwards and uncivilized. The “Anti-Chinese legislation in the United States (Anti-Coolie Act of California in 1862, Chinese Exclusion Act of 1882 and Pigtail Ordinance of California in 1873) although repealed, that shadow is still in the mentality of many Americans.

With the shadow of “despising Chinese mentality”, they don’t even care to know. I will list some major differences below.

1. The Chinese gods are different.
In Greek mythology, the Greek gods were born to be. For Chinese, besides the Almighty 天 (Heavenly God), all other gods are ascended from commoners who have perfected, at least, one 天’s virtue. For Christianity, there is no other god allowed. This is not only the biggest joke for most of Chinese people but is a major violation to the human right, the right to be the disciple of the true Almighty, the 天.

While all those disbelievers should go to hell, those devils are still an important part of this earthly billiard ball game. By condemning their insanity, it will not improve our odds of winning that ball game.

2. The self is different.
In the West, the self is I, me and ego. In China, "self" is a very complicated concept. For a commoner (without a title), there are three ways to say “self”, 自, 己, 我.

自 is the pictograph of the nose, but it does not depict the nose. It points to the person himself, an “object” without any philosophical or moral context.

己 is composed of 一 (Heavenly) over 亡 (vanish). When a person vanishes himself according to the Heavenly virtue, he is a “self.”

我 is composed of 手(hand) + 戈 (spear). With a spear on hand, one can be of himself.

A worthy self must be able to defend for himself and must (must, …, must) vanish (his ego) himself according to Heavenly virtue.

The word for him (or others) is 他 which is the composite of 人 (human, a neutral term) + 也 (the fusion of 九 九). The number 九 九 is the highest number that the 人 (human or humanity) can have. The number above 九 九 belongs to the Almighty 天. Thus, the word 他 encompasses the entire humanity. The Chinese morality is 他 centered. One person who cannot be a 己 (vanishes himself) cannot be a part of 他. While not a single expert of China studies knows about this, most Chinese people do know about the difference between 小 我 (the self) and 大 我 (the 他). The 小 我 only person has no morality.

3. The human right is different.
In the West, one who fights for his own right is a hero. In China, one who fights for his own right is an animal.

In the West, the human right is viewed as the right for individual. In China, 人 has no meaning (no life, no purpose, etc.) outside of 他 (the 大 我). The human right in China is the right of 他.

These three points are just the tip of the iceberg for the difference between the souls of Chinese and Westerners. Without knowing these differences, how can anyone do any China studies?
Tienzen
Founder

Postby yijing » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:02 am

Tienzen wrote:

For Christianity, there is no other god allowed. This is not only the biggest joke for most of Chinese people but is a major violation to the human right, the right to be the disciple of the true Almighty, the 天.

Wow! Wow! Wow!

As a Taiwanese, I always agreed with the saying that Chinese communist was the culprit for the church’s demise in China. Now thinking back, the Christianity came to China about 1500 years ago while PRC is only now 60 years old. Again, churches are not doing much better in Taiwan where has the true religious freedom. Now, this makes all senses to me. The Christianity goes against the soul right of Chinese people.

Tienzen wrote:The word for him (or others) is 他 which is the composite of 人 (human, a neutral term) + 也 (the fusion of 九 九). The number 九 九 is the highest number that the 人 (human or humanity) can have. The number above 九 九 belongs to the Almighty 天. Thus, the word 他 encompasses the entire humanity. The Chinese morality is 他 centered. One person who cannot be a 己 (vanishes himself) cannot be a part of 他. While not a single expert of China studies knows about this, most Chinese people do know about the difference between 小 我 (the self) and 大 我 (the 他).

Almost every Chinese or Taiwanese know the concept of 小 我 (the self) and 大 我 (humanity), and we all take it for granted, an overused slogan. After knowing the etymology of 己 (vanishes himself) and 他 (人 九 九, the humanity), I am truly enlightened about the depth of Chinese philosophy. Thanks, Tienzen.

Tienzen wrote:The 小 我 only person has no morality.

I grow up with this morality. Now, I understand it, at ago 60.
yijing

Postby taiwan » Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:33 pm

yijing wrote:Almost every Chinese or Taiwanese know the concept of 小 我 (the self) and 大 我 (humanity), and we all take it for granted, an overused slogan. After knowing the etymology of 己 (vanishes himself) and 他 (人 九 九, the humanity), I am truly enlightened about the depth of Chinese philosophy. Thanks, Tienzen.

Tienzen wrote:The 小 我 only person has no morality.

I grow up with this morality. Now, I understand it, at ago 60.

Jesus, my God.

I always thought that the human right concept was the greatest human advancement.

I always puzzled for the fact that most of Chinese people do not care about the human right violations from the PRC.

Now, here is soul right, the right of afterlife or the heavenly right which is seemingly a much higher level of rights.

I am also shocked by the 己 (vanishes himself) and 他 (人 九 九, the humanity) etymologies. I taught Chinese language many years, but I just learn these now. I read the word 也 everyday but never know it is the fusion of 九 九, the most important number in Chinese theology. After being pointed out, it is so obvious and clear now.

Chinese morality is the guiding light of my life. But, I never know it is buried so deep in characters.
taiwan

Postby yijing » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:35 am

taiwan wrote:I always thought that the human right concept was the greatest human advancement.

I always puzzled for the fact that most of Chinese people do not care about the human right violations from the PRC.

tienzen wrote:For example, are Chinese people moved by our action of awarding a “Somebody” a Nobel Price?

I do know that most of Chinese people are not impressed by the action of awarding the greatest price to a Nobody. The prestige of the greatest Price cannot transform a Nobody to a sage. This action only reduces the prestige of the greatest Price in the eyes of the Chinese people.

If the Western human right concept is not impressed by the Chinese people, does Chinese government under any pressure by our actions of hitting her repeatedly with the human right issues?
yijing

Postby Tienzen » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:37 pm

yijing wrote:If the Western human right concept is not impressed by the Chinese people, does Chinese government under any pressure by our actions of hitting her repeatedly with the human right issues?

The human right concept of the West is the greatest human advancement. However, if it is not shared by the Chinese “people”, Chinese government does not truly care about our repeated demand on the human right issues.

In any combat (boxing or kungfu), a missed strike is always becoming an opening. If Chinese people do not share our view on human right, our demand of human right issues on Chinese government simply becomes a gift to her, as a bargaining chip. We always pay some kind of price for every Chinese government’s concession on our demand. She, at least, gains a name of being a reasonable player under a demand.

The human right concept of the West is the greatest human advancement, but it is not valued by the majority of Chinese “people”. By ignoring this fact, we are cheating ourselves.

It will take a long time to change Chinese people’s value system on this. If we want to have a quick result, we should sell our value to Chinese people by packaging it with Chinese ribbon.
Tienzen
Founder

Postby American » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:05 pm

taiwan wrote:I am also shocked by the 己 (vanishes himself) and 他 (人 九 九, the humanity) etymologies. I taught Chinese language many years, but I just learn these now. I read the word 也 everyday but never know it is the fusion of 九 九, the most important number in Chinese theology. After being pointed out, it is so obvious and clear now.

Chinese morality is the guiding light of my life. But, I never know it is buried so deep in characters.

Not every reader of this forum knows the meaning of the number 九 九.
American

Postby Tienzen » Sun Jul 17, 2011 12:12 pm

American wrote:
taiwan wrote:I am also shocked by the 己 (vanishes himself) and 他 (人 九 九, the humanity) etymologies. I taught Chinese language many years, but I just learn these now. I read the word 也 everyday but never know it is the fusion of 九 九, the most important number in Chinese theology. After being pointed out, it is so obvious and clear now.

Not every reader of this forum knows the meaning of the number 九 九.

There is a traditional explanation, but it will be viewed as a backward nonsense. With this new Chinese etymology, we must explain it with the most advanced modern physics and linguistics.

In Linguistics Manifesto (http://www.chinese-word-roots.org/cwy.htm ), there is “Martian Language Thesis -- Any human language can always establish a communication with the Martian or martian-like languages.” This thesis is based on the most advanced modern physics.

When we meet a Martian, we must establish a common ground in order to communicate. A good starting point will be discuss our positions; he is on the right side of me. How can I explain the idea of “right side” to him with a reference understood universally? I can show him the beta-decay which is universal and has a parity violation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parity_%28physics%29 ), that is, the beta particles prefer decaying to one-side (such as right side) more than the other side. With this P-violation, the universe is no longer totally symmetrical and homogenous and becomes having distinguishable parts and shape. With this starting point, we can discuss the entire structure of the universe with our Martian friend. Eventually, we can even discuss arts or love with him. This is the base for the “Martian Language Thesis”.

In short, with a homogenous soup, nothing is distinguishable, and no sentence can be constructed for it. Only after a symmetry breaking, a shape arises for the universe. The modern physics is all about the symmetry breakings. In addition to the P-violation, the CP-violation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CP_violation ) is also confirmed. Today, the final task of the modern physics is to discover the source for the matter-antimatter symmetry breaking, the so-called the baryongenesis; this universe arose as matter instead of antimatter.

With the above understanding, we can now explain the etymology and the philosophy of the number 九 九.

In Chinese theology, 無 極 (WUji, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuji_%28philosophy%29 ) is the state before the creation of the universe, being completely formless with the total homogeneousness and the total symmetry. Then, there is 一 劃 開 天, one stroke created the universe. This one stroke created the 太 極 (Tai Chi, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiji ). In fact, this one stroke creates “three”, the ying, the yang and the dividing stroke. So, in Chinese theology, the concept of ying /yang and the number of 1/3 became the central pillars. As the number 1 is the creating power, all odd numbers are assigned to be yang power. And, the even numbers are assigned as ying.

The above theology is described with 羅 盤 (Luopan, Chinese geomancy campus, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luopan ) which detects the energy flows from all “directions”. The center of the 羅 盤 is a small water basin. When a magnetic needle is dropped on the surface of the water, the floating needle will point to North. With this one stroke (the needle), the universe is created, homogenous no more, the total symmetry no more. The universe is now divided into directions. This one stroke (一) became the first word in the Chinese word system, and 一 is heaven’s chi (energy, power and will).

The second Chinese word is “l”, a vertical line which means the fully expressed. The word 十 is 一 (Heaven’s chi) intersected with “l” (wholly expressed). So, 十 means perfection, as the heaven’s virtue is wholly expressed. As a number, 十 is 10.

九 is 9 which is largest yang single digit number. The word 九 is the word 十 (perfection, 10) fused with the word 乙 (the crooked “l”, meaning not fully expressed and still weak). So, 九 is not yet the 十, the perfection. However, 九 is the highest yang can ever be. And, yang is only an earthly virtue, created after that creating stroke.

九 九 is stacking two 九 together. The stacking is a process. The important thing is about the creation (of that process), not about how many times it is applied. So, stacking 九 once guarantees that it can be stacked zillion times. Thus, 九 九 represents the “Highest” earthly virtue that can ever be. With the same logic, the Yijing hexagram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching ) is by stacking the three line trigrams only once, and once is enough.

九 九 is the highest earthly virtue. The etymology for the word 九 is based on the same concept as the modern physics, the symmetry breaking, the creation of an Earth (the humanity) and the recognition of the Almighty Perfection.
Tienzen
Founder

Postby yijing » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:31 pm

Tienzen wrote:九 九 is stacking two 九 together. The stacking is a process. The important thing is about the creation (of that process), not about how many times it is applied. So, stacking 九 once guarantees that it can be stacked zillion times. Thus, 九 九 represents the “Highest” earthly virtue that can ever be. With the same logic, the Yijing hexagram (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Ching ) is by stacking the three line trigrams only once, and once is enough.

I have studied Yijing all of my life, over 40 years now. I have wondered more than once about the question why the Yijing-gram ended with stacking the trigrams only once. What will it happen if we stack it one more time? There will be 512 nine-sided polygons. A few hundred years ago, someone did try to expend the Yijing to 512 grams but without much success.

With this short passage of yours, I now know that the current Yijing is already an axiomatic system with these two pillars.
1. the 8 trigrams
2. the stacking process

With these two, a gram being stacked n (an unbound number) times can always be reduced to a series of trigrams and sexagrams. Thanks for enlightening me.
yijing

Postby hantze » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:17 pm

Tienzen wrote:九 is 9 which is largest yang single digit number. The word 九 is the word 十 (perfection, 10) fused with the word 乙 (the crooked “l”, meaning not fully expressed and still weak). So, 九 is not yet the 十, the perfection. However, 九 is the highest yang can ever be. And, yang is only an earthly virtue, created after that creating stroke.

Every kid in Taiwan learns the word 九 in the first grade. After teaching Chinese language over 30 years in Taiwan, I did not know anything about the etymology of the word 九. No one ever thought about that there should be a reason behind the structure of the word 九.

Your short essay above shocks me way beyond its etymology. I am shocked by learning about such a depth of philosophy and theology which are behind such a simple word 九. I already am learning your system. I just find out that I have a long way to go. There is no chance for any Sinologist to comprehend such a depth of the Chinese language.
hantze

Postby American » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:38 am

hantze wrote:Your short essay above shocks me way beyond its etymology. I am shocked by learning about such a depth of philosophy and theology which are behind such a simple word 九. I already am learning your system. I just find out that I have a long way to go. There is no chance for any Sinologist to comprehend such a depth of the Chinese language.

There is no need for knowing this kind of etymology for doing the China studies.
American

Postby david » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:20 pm

American wrote:There is no need for knowing this kind of etymology for doing the China studies.

Today, everyone have some basic concepts on electricity, human genome, nuclear power, stem cell research, etc.. An expert on the Aristotle's physics while not knowing the above new concepts is a dinosaur.

Before this new Chinese etymology was known, no one was ignorant about it. Now, many people (soon going to be millions) know about it. A Sinologist who knows not this new Chinese etymology will be worse than a dinosaur but becomes a laughing stock.
david

Postby mariaC » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:07 pm

Tienzen wrote:In Chinese theology, 無 極 (WUji, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wuji_%28philosophy%29 ) is the state before the creation of the universe, being completely formless with the total homogeneousness and the total symmetry. Then, there is 一 劃 開 天, one stroke created the universe. This one stroke created the 太 極 (Tai Chi, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiji ). In fact, this one stroke creates “three”, the ying, the yang and the dividing stroke. So, in Chinese theology, the concept of ying /yang and the number of 1/3 became the central pillars. As the number 1 is the creating power, all odd numbers are assigned to be yang power. And, the even numbers are assigned as ying.

The above theology is described with 羅 盤 (Luopan, Chinese geomancy campus, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luopan ) which detects the energy flows from all “directions”. The center of the 羅 盤 is a small water basin. When a magnetic needle is dropped on the surface of the water, the floating needle will point to North. With this one stroke (the needle), the universe is created, homogenous no more, the total symmetry no more. The universe is now divided into directions. This one stroke (一) became the first word in the Chinese word system, and 一 is heaven’s chi (energy, power and will).

I always thought that 一 劃 開 天 was the result of being ignorance about science. I am shocked to learn about its connection with the modern physics.

Why is the Chinese geomancy campus called 羅 盤?
mariaC

Postby Tienzen » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:09 am

mariaC wrote:I always thought that 一 劃 開 天 was the result of being ignorance about science. I am shocked to learn about its connection with the modern physics.

Why is the Chinese geomancy campus called 羅 盤?

盤 is a dish plate which is able to hold things in it. 羅 is a common word, known by every Chinese people as it is a common family name of many people. Yet, not many people know about its true and original meaning.

羅 is composed of three roots.
Root 1: it is a variant of the root 网(a net) which is in the words 羅, 罪, 罰, 羈, 罩, 罷, etc..

Root 2: it is in the words 羅, 素, 糾, 紅, 納, 紗, 紙, etc., and it means silk. Its semantic meaning is tying up something.

Root 3: it is in the words 羅, 隻, 雙, 雀, 集, 誰, 雋, etc., and it is a short wing bird.

So, the direct reading on the word 羅 is “a net tying a bird. “ So, 羅 is a bird catching net. 網 is also a net while it is normally used as fishing or animal catching net. Thus, we say 天 羅 (sky net, capturing the flying objects) and 地 網 (earth net, capturing the earth roaming creatures).

Thus, 羅 盤 is a plate and a net (a net plate) which can encompass (capture) the entire universe. The entire universe is inside of 羅 盤.

Most of Chinese words go way beyond as only symbols for representing objects or concepts. A large framework of philosophy and theology is embedded in them. Not knowing these deep etymologies, 90% of the meanings of words or phrases are missed by the readers.
Tienzen
Founder

Postby hantze » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Tienzen wrote: So, 羅 is a bird catching net.

Most of Chinese words go way beyond as only symbols for representing objects or concepts. A large framework of philosophy and theology is embedded in them. Not knowing these deep etymologies, 90% of the meanings of words or phrases are missed by the readers.

I was never taught that 羅 is a bird catching net although I knew this word since my first grade as it is a very common surname in Taiwan. I had no problem with this word 羅 all my life as a teacher of Chinese language for 30 years. I know the meaning of every phrase containing this word 羅.

張 羅 (preparing things)

羅 列 (laying out things)

羅 致 (collecting things)

星 羅 棋 布 (a grand arrangement)

I never questioned about why the alphabets (b, o, k) give the word “book” its meaning as it is. On the same token, I have never questioned about why the words 張 and 羅 give the phrase 張 羅 its meaning as preparing things. It is the same for 羅 列, 羅 致 and 星 羅 棋 布.

By knowing the true meaning of the word 羅, a bird catching net, the meaning of those phrases can be read out from their faces.

張 (opening up). So, 張 羅 is opening up the bird catching net, preparing for the hunt.

列 (listing or laying out). So, 羅 列 is laying out the catches of the net.

致 (giving). So, 羅 致 is collecting the catches of the net.

I knew the meanings of these phrases all my life. Now, I know why they mean what they mean. On the one hand, I am very happy and thankful. On the other hand, I am very up sad of why I was not taught ever before. And, I am most sorry to my students.
hantze

Postby American » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:42 am

Tienzen wrote:Most of Chinese words go way beyond as only symbols for representing objects or concepts. A large framework of philosophy and theology is embedded in them. Not knowing these deep etymologies, 90% of the meanings of words or phrases are missed by the readers.

There is no need for knowing this kind of etymology for doing the China studies.
American

Postby Tienzen » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:01 am

American wrote:
Tienzen wrote:Most of Chinese words go way beyond as only symbols for representing objects or concepts. A large framework of philosophy and theology is embedded in them. Not knowing these deep etymologies, 90% of the meanings of words or phrases are missed by the readers.

Nostradamus ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nostradamus ) was a great medical doctor in the 16th century for treating the Black Death ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Death ). If he were unable to use x-ray, cat-scan or MRI today, he would not have been allowed to practice medicine.

Before the discovery of this new Chinese etymology, everyone (including the Sinologists) is excused for not knowing it. Very soon (in 10 years), every Chinese or Taiwanese kid will know about this new Chinese etymology, and any Sinologist who knows not it will become a joke.
Tienzen
Founder

Postby American » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:15 pm

Tienzen wrote:Before the discovery of this new Chinese etymology, everyone (including the Sinologists) is excused for not knowing it. Very soon (in 10 years), every Chinese or Taiwanese kid will know about this new Chinese etymology, and any Sinologist who knows not it will become a joke.

This self-claimed new Chinese etymology is not accepted by any university.
American

Postby hantze » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:51 pm

American wrote:
Tienzen wrote:Before the discovery of this new Chinese etymology, everyone (including the Sinologists) is excused for not knowing it. Very soon (in 10 years), every Chinese or Taiwanese kid will know about this new Chinese etymology, and any Sinologist who knows not it will become a joke.

This self-claimed new Chinese etymology is not accepted by any university.

Chinese language is my mother tongue. I am a Chinese language teacher in Taiwan over 30 years. Any Chinese philologist or Western Sinologist in any university does not know more about Chinese language than I do. I can make the following statements about Gong’s system with absolute confidence and pride.

1. Gong’s new Chinese etymology is new.
a. It was never known by any Western sinologists, such as,
Dr. F.S.C. Northrop ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F._S._C._Northrop )
Dr. John DeFrancis ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_DeFrancis )
Dr. Joseph Needham (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Needham )

b. It was never known by any Chinese philologist, such as,
魯 迅 (lǔ xùn, the greatest Chinese linguist, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lu_Xun )
錢 玄 同 (Qian_Xuantong, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qian_Xuantong )
胡 適 (Hu Shih, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hu_Shih )
林 語 堂 (Lin Yu Tang, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin_Yu_Tang )

c. Most importantly, it is new to me. I was never taught about it all my life until I began to study his work.

2. Gong’s system is valid. The entire framework of his new Chinese Etymology is available at this forum. The url for the thread is the-new-chinese-etymology-f16/the-entire-framework-of-this-new-chinese-etymology-t33.html

Gong’s system presented in the above thread is simply an axiomatic system. And, the validity of his system can be understood by anyone with common sense, without a prerequisite knowledge of Chinese language. Not knowing Chinese language is not an excuse for not being able to determine the validity of his system. Please read the thread “Read the meaning of every Chinese character from its face” at general-discussion/read-the-meaning-of-every-chinese-character-from-its-face-t34.html

3. Gong’s system has revolutionized the language acquisition, changing Chinese written language from the most damn hard subject (with six years humility) to the easiest one to learn in the world (90 days of success and joy). Please read the thread “Why Chinese Is So Damn Hard?” at general-discussion/why-chinese-is-so-damn-hard-t32.html

Please also examine the data and facts about the World Record of learning Chinese written language in 90 days with success and joy from the site at http://www.chineseetymology.com/

4. Gong’s system is not just about Chinese language but is now the foundation for entire linguistics. Please read the “Linguistics Manifesto” (ISBN 978-3-8383-9722-1) at http://www.chinese-word-roots.org/cwy.htm

The book is available at
amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com/Linguistics-Manif ... 552&sr=8-3

Barnes & Noble
http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Lingui ... +manifesto

Any educator who ignores the above facts and wrongs to his students is carrying the karma of shame which is growing daily. Please read the thread “Is it wrong to the young students? (誤 人 子 弟)!” at general-discussion/is-it-wrong-to-the-young-students-t36.html
hantze

Postby American » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:51 am

hantze wrote:
American wrote:This self-claimed new Chinese etymology is not accepted by any university.

1. Gong’s new Chinese etymology is new.
a. It was never known by any Western sinologists, such as,
b. It was never known by any Chinese philologist, such as,

c. Most importantly, it is new to me. I was never taught about it all my life until I began to study his work.

With the above facts, it must be accepted.

hantze wrote:2. ...
Gong’s system presented in the above thread is simply an axiomatic system. And, the validity of his system can be understood by anyone with common sense, without a prerequisite knowledge of Chinese language. Not knowing Chinese language is not an excuse for not being able to determine the validity of his system. ...

Agree.

hantze wrote:3. Gong’s system has revolutionized the language acquisition, changing Chinese written language from the most damn hard subject (with six years humility) to the easiest one to learn in the world (90 days of success and joy). ...

Please also examine the data and facts about the World Record of learning Chinese written language in 90 days with success and joy from the site at http://www.chineseetymology.com/

Agree, those data are openly available to be examined.

hantze wrote:4. Gong’s system is not just about Chinese language but is now the foundation for entire linguistics. Please read the “Linguistics Manifesto” (ISBN 978-3-8383-9722-1) at http://www.chinese-word-roots.org/cwy.htm

The book is available at
amazon.com
Barnes & Noble

Accepted. The book is recommended by "The Linguist List", International Linguistics Community online, managed by Eastern Michigan University. And, it is published by a reputable academic publisher, Lambert Academic Publishing in German.

However, is there any review from either China or Taiwan?
American

Postby bob » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:35 pm

China is now the 2nd largest economy in the world. The China studies become the most important subject for the America’s national security. And, this thread discussed something new for the China studies. Tienzen’s comments below should be the key points for all China studies.

Tienzen wrote:
yijing wrote:If the Western human right concept is not impressed by the Chinese people, does Chinese government under any pressure by our actions of hitting her repeatedly with the human right issues?

The human right concept of the West is the greatest human advancement. However, if it is not shared by the Chinese “people”, Chinese government does not truly care about our repeated demand on the human right issues.

In any combat (boxing or kungfu), a missed strike is always becoming an opening. If Chinese people do not share our view on human right, our demand of human right issues on Chinese government simply becomes a gift to her, as a bargaining chip. We always pay some kind of price for every Chinese government’s concession on our demand. She, at least, gains a name of being a reasonable player under a demand.

The human right concept of the West is the greatest human advancement, but it is not valued by the majority of Chinese “people”. By ignoring this fact, we are cheating ourselves.

It will take a long time to change Chinese people’s value system on this. If we want to have a quick result, we should sell our value to Chinese people by packaging it with Chinese ribbon.

While we should uphold our values (such as human rights, etc.) to maintain our own spirits and moral high ground, we also must consider Tienzen's points above on any practical strategy.
bob

Postby david » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:18 pm

bob wrote:

While we should uphold our values (such as human rights, etc.) to maintain our own spirits and moral high ground, we also must consider Tienzen's points above on any practical strategy.

Agree with bob completely.

Tienzen wrote:... For example, are Chinese people moved by our action of awarding a “Somebody” a Nobel [Peace] Prize?
What did we (the America) gain from this?
Did we move more Chinese people to our side?
Or, we just helped Chinese government with our action?
What kind of action from us can move Chinese people, especially to our side?

The questions asked by Tienzen in his first post of this thread can be the best practical questions for our consideration.
david

Next

Return to China Studies